Hiking is a wonderful way to experience nature and get some exercise at the same time. Whether you’re an experienced hiker or just getting started, one essential piece of gear you’ll need is a good backpack. Not only will it provide the space and organization you need to carry gear and supplies on the trail, but it will also keep you comfortable throughout your hike.
So what makes a hiking backpack the “best”?
It starts with a good fit. Your pack should fit comfortably on your back, with the weight distributed evenly across your shoulders and hips. Look for a pack with adjustable straps and multiple points of adjustment to ensure the perfect fit.
Next, consider capacity. How much gear do you need to carry? The size of your pack will depend on the length of your hike and the amount of gear you’ll need. A day hike may only require a small pack, while a multi-day trek will require a larger pack with enough space for food, water, clothing, and other essentials.
Durability is also important. Your hiking backpack should be made from tough, high-quality materials that can withstand the rigors of the trail. Ideally, your pack will be both water-resistant and abrasion-resistant, protecting your gear from the elements and rough terrain.
Here are some of the best hiking backpacks currently available:
1. Osprey Atmos AG 65: This award-winning pack provides plenty of space for extended trips, with an adjustable hip belt and anti-gravity suspension providing unparalleled comfort.
2. Gregory Baltoro 65: With a host of convenient features like an included rain cover, sleeping bag compartment, and a removable hydration sleeve, this pack is the ultimate in convenience and organization.
3. Deuter Aircontact Lite 60+10: This pack provides both ample space and exceptional ventilation, with a well-ventilated back panel and breathable mesh shoulder straps.
4. Camelbak Fourteener 24: If you’re looking for a smaller pack for day hikes, this 24-liter option may be just the ticket. Durable and lightweight, it has plenty of room for water, snacks, and other essentials.
5. REI Co-op Traverse 70: This versatile pack is great for both short and extended trips, with customizable suspension to ensure a comfortable fit for hikers of all shapes and sizes.
No matter which hiking backpack you choose, remember to take the time to adjust it properly before hitting the trails. With the right fit and features, your pack will help you enjoy your hike in comfort and style.